Monday, December 9, 2013

To Hungary...but not INTO Hungary


Liebe Mutter und Vater,

Goodness! The time flies! Seriously! I can't believe it's Monday again!  It looks like you had a fun week! I thought we had a lot of snow (4 inches).....until I saw the 1-2-foot snow in Utah!  My goodness. I was actually really excited when it snowed on Saturday. It was gorgeous. It makes me SO happy, except for the cold. But we used our winter coats, which were really good, and I don't think (I hope) it doesn't get so cold as it did last January. The thing is, it's flat here, so it is veeery windy, and that makes it colder. Oh, riding bikes in the wind.........is very, very interesting......

We bought dirndls last week. Yep. Pretty exciting. I really love mine. It reaches to the floor.



Tuesday, we had district meeting in Wien, then German class and and an appointment with A. But there wasn't enough time for a lesson.... :/ So we'll teach her this coming week.

Wednesday was really funny. It was completely open:  we had absolutely no appointments. So, we went and talked with H, then went dooring for not very long. We decided to go up to Berndorf and visit a less active member (who wasn't home), but gave a man the Book of Mormon. He was really funny and really cool. :) We're going back up there tomorrow. Then, we went to St. Veit and der Triesting to visit another less active. St. Veit is quite small, but there isn't a map. It sort of belongs to the Berndorf area. And we couldn't find the street that they lived on, but we just kept going and kept asking people until we FOUND it!  It was hilarious.  Then, on the train back, we saw this woman, whom we've met before in Leobersdorf. She was so nice, and she's had some sort of contact from missionaries in Wien. It was a really fun conversation. :) We went to Sollenau and found another less active, who wasn't home. But all in all, it was a really good day, for being totally open.

On Friday, we had a lesson with P at Sonja's. It was really, really good. We started teaching her the Gospel of Jesus Christ (lesson), and the Spirit was really strong. We're going to try and start meeting twice a week. She is really making progress. FHV was so good for her yesterday. We talked about the Prophet Joseph Smith, and then the teacher asked, "What were your experiences really asking to find out if Joseph Smith is a prophet?" And it was just so good and the Spirit was so strong again.

Saturday, we went up to Wien for the baptism in Wien 4, which was nice.  We stopped in Baden and went by on Familie P (potentials from a couple weeks ago), who wasn't home. But afterwards, we contacted a bit, but then went home and studied, then cleaned the apartment. (It was checked on Sunday.) Then, we went to Sr. Pikal's Weihnachtslesung (Christmas reading). She is a talented writer, and has written some books about her own experiences, and just the way she writes, but also the way she reads her stories, was powerful. It enveloped me in magic. It was pretty incredible.

Sunday, yesterday, was just a really Spirit-filled day. Relief Society was good. I got to translate for P, and the Spirit was really strong. Then, Sunday School was about spiritual gifts, which was really cool. (I got your letter about spiritual gifts on Thursday this week, Mom.) Then, in Sacrament Meeting, Baby E was blessed, and the Spirit was just so, so strong. There were SO many people at church, also, because David H. was giving his farewell talk.

Afterwards, we stayed for a little bit at the buffet, while the elders had their apartment checked.  When when they came back, I received a priesthood blessing.  I had been feeling like I should ask for one for guidance, and it was really, really special. Afterwards, we went and had our apartment checked, then went to St. Margarethen to visit the S's, a less active family. Br. S took us up on the highest "mountain" in Burgenland (well, a hill, really....), and showed us around a little bit. It was absolutely gorgeous. I loved, loved, loved it. And then, he took us to Hungary. I think there have been times in the past, when he's driven into Hungary without telling the missionaries, then turned around. We told him please do NOT go into Hungary. So we went to the border and took pictures. I was amazed at how close it was. But, yeah, I saw Hungary yesterday. :) But never been there. I was at the very edge of our mission......the VERY, very edge. Afterwards, we went back and had dessert and just talked. The elders shared a spiritual thought, and then we talked. It was a really sad and hard conversation, because some members have offended them multiple times, and they're very bitter about it. They know the church is true, but they don't want to go back because of these relationships with people in the ward. And it just broke my heart, because I could feel how much Heavenly Father loves them and wants to help them, but they don't want to have that help.




So, all in all, the week was really good. And really fast. I think that's how the whole transfer is going to be. This is already week three. After this, we're halfway done with the transfer. Scary! Anyways. We're sending Christmas packages today, just FYI. I hope they make it in time!  I love you SO much---so, so, so much! Thank you for the letters and your love and the Christmas presents with scriptures on them. It's so fun. :)

This work is good, the Church, the gospel is so true. Heavenly Father is real, and He loves us SO MUCH. I'm seeing in a number of things how He is aware of us. And I'm learning so much.

Love,
Your favorite missionary in all of Austria,
Sister Beth Winters.





1 comment:

  1. Yay!! She got to go to Hungary…:) What a cute dirndl -- I'm so glad she found that!!! She looks very Austrian. I love her attitude…just love it.

    ReplyDelete